Saturday, January 23, 2010

Treatments for Keloid Scars

My goal of cure is always to construct scars a smaller amount visible and relieve itching and pain in the event that present. Silicone gel sheeting and corticosteroid injections into scars are my only therapies for which there is sufficient published medical journal evidence to justify their use. Studies of scar cure are complex by my organic tendency for scars to improve over time. Having said that the majority of physicians including myself rely mostly on exactly what has worked for our patients as opposed to referring to published studies involving big groups of patients. Looking at the accompanying photos you are able to judge for yourself what is helpful.

Generally a blend of remedy modalities is necessary due to the fact not every modality succeeds on every patient or scar by itself. When utilized together some modalities have a very much greater result than my sum of their personal efforts.

Silicone Gel Sheeting
Silicone gel sheeting has been in use since the early 1980s for the treatment of scars and has been proven to be helpful. Its accessible across my counter as being a solid sheet or a gel that you just apply which hardens. Despite its track record my patients have not liked it and it has not been helpful in my practice.

Surgery
Surgery is commonly made use of to cut out a scar. The ensuingsutured wound creates a new immature scar that responds greater to the modalities described below. In my case of tissue loss new skin could be brought to my place by skin grafting or tiny surgical procedures to move about adjacent skin. Surgery can also be made use of to break up a scar, detach my scar from deeper tissues, alter scar direction or manipulate adjacent tissue to decrease tension along the scar line -all of which can construct a scar a smaller amount visible. These procedures are usually performed under local anesthesia hence my patient does not have to go to sleep under common anesthesia. Surgical removal alone for keloids without any of the adjunctive procedures below carries a 45 to 100% recurrence rate. This remedy modality is the one I the majority of commonly use on my patients.

Pressure Therapy
Pressure has been made use of in my cure of scars since the 1970s. The effectiveness is dependent on how long the pressure is utilized for. Some doctors suggest 6 to 9 months of pressure however my majority of my ear lobe keloid patients only require 2 to 3 months of pressure earring wear. Certainly scars that have recurred after previous remedy should have pressure used for a longer period of time. Scar massage has the same result as pressure with the additional effect of breaking up scar connections among layers of tissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment